Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oh, f-ck

The title summarizes what I feel right now.

The weekend passed and I got absolutely no time to just recharge. A friend turned 30 and had a really nice party which I of course don't regret attending, and the day after had me and my mate go for some much needed furniture shopping. A good weekend, but oh how I feel the repercussions of not taking even one single day off from it all.

The game client is compiling. I need to get in there and look some things up before moving on to my other point on my schedule - defining what sounds we'll need to request from our sound artist. It looks like I need to do a full recompile. That'll take an hour. Guess I'll have to start with the list anyway.

The reason I'm on my seldom updated blog right now is that f-ck. I need to vent. Not anger or anything like that, but just everything. My load is currently extremely high, higher than I'm used to, but the difference between now and - say - 6 years ago, is that feel that I can handle it. But, I need to shut down now and then and recharge. To wake up one day of the week at least and think "hey, what's the time? oh, it's THAT day, I don't need to care... but I'm up now, so what to do? yeah I think I'll fire Guild Wars 2 up... no wait, I'll just not get up from the couch and then I'll look at something stupid on Netflix. or, some tutorials on some cool thing that I've been wondering about for a while..."

I'm not really getting that here on the blog, of course, but at least I'm braiding text out of the strands of my mind and getting some feelings out in some form of orderly fashion. It feels soothing. It helps, I think.

I've got a cup of coffee before me and the game is still compiling. I started watching "Moon" on Netflix yesterday and got halfway through. That's a movie I probably would have never watched if it wasn't for that new service (new to Sweden anyway) where I can just click and watch instantly. It's nice. It's very different and I want to know what happens next. I'll probably finish it in the evening. And that's another thing - I'm looking forward to watching a movie. Movies. Like, I haven't done that in many years because getting to the point of watching something is always filled with obstacles. If it isn't the drag of downloading a torrent it is the drag of buying a disc absolutely filled with advertisements... that I just paid for. Buying a DVD or Bluray today almost feels like willingly kicking yourself in the crotch, taking a photo of it and shaaaaaaring it with all your friends and family.

*sip*

Yep, still compiling. This is a long one. So, a sound list...

That reminds me of the LiveStream I did with our publisher Paradox Interactive on twitch.tv last week. You can find it here. It's an hour of babbling and game play from "my" latest DLC release for Magicka, "Dungeons & Daemons". I haven't watched it myself yet actually, but I know it's rather lame and embarrassing. I was relatively prepared for it, I thought, but then they changed the setup at the very last minute and suddenly most of my preparations went through the window. That, and it's two very different things to build English sentences in writing and in speech. And screw trademark symbols - I'm not a representative for anything here but myself and my creativity.

Back to sounds. I'll have to go through all the scenes and "play" it in my head. This'll take a while. Good thing I don't have to wait for my brain to compile. Hm... or is that what this just was?

No comments: