Thursday, June 7, 2007

Introduction to this spot on the big bloggy dog

Welcome to my corner of the infinate webspace. This blog will contain downloads, thoughts and ideas, notes and works created by me for showcase/portfolio purposes.

I have been working with UnrealEd to create my own maps for Unreal Tournament 2004. I'm so far just a beginner, but I'm learning fast from experimenting, asking around on forums, and watching Buzz3D's tutorials that came with the Editor's Edition of UT2004.

So far, I've made two and a half maps. The first one is rather small and complex, and probably not that well balanced, but was just an attempt at learning the editor. The second map is more balanced and much larger, with several areas and strategic locations of interest, and it also has a nice feel to it. The third map is an experiment with skyboxes, particles and lights to create a good looking weather. So far, it is turning out pretty good, but it's far from complete yet.

I have yet to look into bot support as well as optimized collision, anti-portals if needed, and things like that.

I'm also working with Game Maker 7 from time to time, trying to make prototypes or just fun 2D games. It's really a great tool for me as a designer and hobbyist programmer. Despite its' corny name, it really allows for some advanced programming with its' scripting language (GML) which pretty much looks like a mix of Pascal and C++.

[EDIT] I have also been hired by the University of Skövde to teach the basics of Game Maker for a course in Experimental Game Mechanics, where the students were to create one game prototype per week for a couple of weeks using Game Maker. I was also a tutor for the class both in person and via online messaging for the duration of the course.

Worth mentioning; The games you can find on my site require Windows 95 or up in all probability.

No comments: